Welcome to Kids Lit Express!

This blog is for people like me who loved reading books as a kid and who still enjoy reading childrens books, not because I have kids or work with kids -- simply because I really enjoy childrens books. There are a lot of wonderfully written and illustrated books for children, and it is their simplicity that always amazes me. You have to be a good writer to write for children, because you don't get a lot of words to convey your meaning.

So, do you enjoy reading children's books? What are your favorite books or authors? Do you like picture books? Why do you enjoy reading books for children? Is there any one book that got you started?


You can share your favorites using the form at the bottom of this page.

You can also click on the title of a book to purchase it from Amazon.com

Thursday, July 16, 2009

What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell

What I Saw And How I Lied evokes the film noir genre of the 40's and 50's -- I can just see Fred MacMurray playing the role of Joe. It takes place right after the war, when Evie's stepdad Joe returns from Europe and everybody is in a mood of excess. The family takes a vacation to Florida where Evie meets and falls for Peter, a handsome young man who soon attaches himself to the family. Evie is the quintessential young girl who falls for (perhaps?) the wrong guy. Her inexperience in the ways of love causes her to miss all the warning signs until a terrible tragedy lands her parents in court.

Blundell effortlessly captures the feeling of America and Americans right after World War II, when they were tired of going without and ready to enjoy the good life. I could picture many of the scenes in my head as a black and white movie. She also keeps you guessing until the end about how Evie lies to save herself.

2008, NY: Scholastic Press

No comments: