Welcome to Kids Lit Express!

This blog is for people like me who loved reading books as a kid and who still enjoy reading childrens books, not because I have kids or work with kids -- simply because I really enjoy childrens books. There are a lot of wonderfully written and illustrated books for children, and it is their simplicity that always amazes me. You have to be a good writer to write for children, because you don't get a lot of words to convey your meaning.

So, do you enjoy reading children's books? What are your favorite books or authors? Do you like picture books? Why do you enjoy reading books for children? Is there any one book that got you started?


You can share your favorites using the form at the bottom of this page.

You can also click on the title of a book to purchase it from Amazon.com

Friday, July 31, 2009

Your favorites

Thanks for all your comments! Interesting to see some books I've never heard of -- and then some old favorites! Please keep posting your books on the form below.

Your Name: Jean B
Book/Author: Phillip Pullman; The Rainbabies Comment: Love many of the books by Phillip Pullman - started reading one of his once without realizing I was not the target market! One of my favorite books for young children is The Rainbabies - can't remember the author - great pictures and a warm hearted story about an older couple who can't have children but one day find 12 babies no bigger than their thumbs and their ensuing adventures.

Your Name: Margaret D
Book/Author: Lay That Trumpet in Our Hands by Susan Carol McCarthy
Comment: This coming of age novel, set against the backdrop of the civil rights movement in Florida in the early 1950's, is an engaging novel for any age. It is one of the summer reading assignments for my middle school son and I am thankful that I read it. McCarthy helps us understand how the civil rights movement affected many of the people that lived in the early 50's.

Your Name: Lois B
Book/Author: Ender's Game
Comment: I have never been interested in science fiction, but a couple of years ago, I kept hearing about Ender's Game. My daughter was reading it (actually her boyfriend was reading it to her); a co-worker mentioned the book at lunch one day. I had to see what all the fuss was about. I so enjoyed this book that I went on to read the next three in the Ender series. Author, Orson Scott Card, does such a wonderful job of capturing what makes us human and the complexities of human relationships - that was the draw for me more than the sci-fi setting.

Your Name: Mara M
Book/Author: Diane Duane
Comment: "So You Want to be a Wizard" series---Friends Nita and Kit discover they are wizards just in time to save the world. Eight book adventure that is a whirlwind of fun, action and drama.

ISBN: 0440982529

Your Name: Cheri A
Book/Author: Robert Munsch
Comment: I have always enjoyed reading aloud Robert Musch's books to my kindergarten and first graders but as a retired teacher and grandmother of a two and five year old I am rediscovering the pleasure they give to both the reader and the listener.

Your Name: Maureen K
Book/Author: Effie's Bath by Richard Thompson
Comment: Two little girls who are best friends are taking a bath. When they put their heads underwater, they find themselves in another world. It starts when they meet an owl and a pussycat traveling in a pea green boat... The drawings are by one of my favorite illustrators,Eugenie Fernandes.

Your Name: Mara M.
Book/Author: Going on a Bear Hunt
Comment: GREAT for little ones, especially read with great enthusiasm. My guys can still recite almost every line! "I'm not scared!"

Your Name: Lesley B
Author/Book: Burnett, The Secret Garden
Comment: If this isn't the first book I ever read on my own, it was the first I remember having been transported by--to a mysterious old house in the middle of "the moors," which I pictured as huge green woods on a carpet of moss, hearing a little boy cry in the dark. I can still remember exactly how I felt reading it.

Your Name: Sandy L
Book/Author: Flight by Sherman Alexie
Comment: I've been wanting to read Alexie for a long time. The other day at the library I spotted this book in the YA section as I browsed for another book. I read 'Flight' in a weekend, probably could have done it in a day.

What a unique style!!! This man is amazingly bright, quick-witted and sharp to the core. He just lays it all out there as seen from the eyes of a half Native-American/half Irish teen, who calls himself Zits. Zits is orphaned by this stage of his life and has been to more foster homes than we have digits, each home having an impact on his life, none of which is good... tragically not even close. Amidst all the turmoil of foster home after foster home, it seems none of the social workers are able to connect with this kid. He sees through their psycho-babble and it leaves him so blatantly alone, unloved, and unwanted. We are in Zits' mind, we see the world the way he sees it, a bit cynical, a bit despairing.

One night after another run in with the cops, Zits meets someone while spending the night in jail. This philosophical character seems a bit like him. They connect and finally there is someone who just might understand Zits and the crazy world in which they live. This friendship leads to a revelation, betrayal and a choice that changes Zits' life drastically.

This is not a book for the faint hearted. There is tough stuff, real life that many of us would prefer not to see or know anything about... so read it and open your eyes.

Your Name: Rebecca
Book/Author: Lemony Snicket
Comment: You should know I'm fickle and _A Series of Unfortunate Events_ is what the kids and I are reading right now. We are on book 11 and I have had fun picking out the literary references - Dante's Beatrice, Clarissa Dalloway, Emma Bovary, The Road Less Traveled and more. Admittedly, it lulls around book 3/4, but the writing is still fun and the series picks up from there.

Your Name: Lisa S
Book/Author: The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, and The Chronicles of Narnia
Comment: The first two are classic children's. As far as the Chronicles, I still think they beat Harry Potter hands down.

Your Name: Mary Jan B
Book/Author: Knuffle Bunny, by Mo Willems
Comment: VERY clever and meaningful to the preschooler crowd. Knuffle Buny, Too is also awesome. My genre, if you can call it that, is pre-K picture books. I love books that are simple enough for preschoolers but get at something very meaningful in their lives such as separation, family, friends, etc.

Your name: Natalie M.
Book/Author: All of a Kind Family by Sydney Taylor
Comment: This series of books about a Jewish family with 5 girls who live on the Upper East Side during the early 1900's. I loved the characters, and without even realizing it learned a lot about the Jewish culture and the immigrant experience!

Your name: Natalie M.
Book/Author: "Winnie-The-Pooh" by A.A. Milne
Comment: Still one of my favorites!

Your Name: am
Authors: Jon Scieszka/ Lane Smith
Comment: the true story of the three little pigs made me laugh out loud. :) still does. i think the wolf has a brooklyn accent.

Your Name: Mary J Nickum
Author: Erin Hunter
Comment: Hunter's series (3), Warriors, is the best constructed series of stories about cats that I've ever read! I wish it had been around when I was young. A wonderful, imaginative story about feral cats and their fictional cat society.

Your name: Karen
Book: The Underneath
Comment: You will absolutely love this book, a first novel for the author. It revolves around an old bloodhound that is tied to a 20-foot chain. He can get under the porch where he befriends a cat who has kittens. It's a story about love and revenge.

No comments: