Welcome to Kids Lit Express!

This blog is for people like me who loved reading books as a kid and who still enjoy reading childrens books, not because I have kids or work with kids -- simply because I really enjoy childrens books. There are a lot of wonderfully written and illustrated books for children, and it is their simplicity that always amazes me. You have to be a good writer to write for children, because you don't get a lot of words to convey your meaning.

So, do you enjoy reading children's books? What are your favorite books or authors? Do you like picture books? Why do you enjoy reading books for children? Is there any one book that got you started?


You can share your favorites using the form at the bottom of this page.

You can also click on the title of a book to purchase it from Amazon.com

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Author Brands

and while I'm on the subject of branding, it doesn't happen only with book characters -- it happens with authors too. How many famous people have now written one -- or more children's books? and how many of them are actually any good? Have you read Katie Couric's first book? It's absolutely awful. And Jerry Seinfeld's book? Frankly I find it gross -- the illustrations particularly. Why is it that people think that anyone can write a children's book? I think these books are mainly sold to parents who think their kids will like them . . . but kids are smarter than that. They like to read good books, not books written by famous people.

I tend to stay away from celebrity, so if you do know of any outstanding celebrity authors, let me know.

1 comment:

Diana Wilson said...

Stefán has really enjoyed a few of the Jamie Lee Curtis books. The illustrations are hilarious for both kids and adults.