Welcome to Kids Lit Express!

This blog is for people like me who loved reading books as a kid and who still enjoy reading childrens books, not because I have kids or work with kids -- simply because I really enjoy childrens books. There are a lot of wonderfully written and illustrated books for children, and it is their simplicity that always amazes me. You have to be a good writer to write for children, because you don't get a lot of words to convey your meaning.

So, do you enjoy reading children's books? What are your favorite books or authors? Do you like picture books? Why do you enjoy reading books for children? Is there any one book that got you started?


You can share your favorites using the form at the bottom of this page.

You can also click on the title of a book to purchase it from Amazon.com

Friday, May 22, 2009

Kids books that made me cry

Some kids books make me cry because they are sad. Some make me cry because they are happy or hopeful. Some just make me cry because they are so beautifully written. Here is a list:

The Book Thief, Mark Zusak. I just finished reading this book and I guarantee it will make you cry. Beautifully and hauntingly written story about a young German girl living near Munich during World War II.

Because of Winn-Dixie, Kate DiCamillo. There is nothing sad about this book but the ending is so perfect, so full of hope and love, that I break down every time I read it.

Pictures of Hollis Woods, Patricia Reilly Giff. Hollis is a foster child who loves her newest foster mother, but she remembers her last family through her drawings of them. Very satisfying conclusion!

Bridge to Terabithia, Katherine Paterson. You probably cried at this movie, but you'll bawl after reading the book. The story of the unlikely friendship between a boy and a girl and what happens after the girl is killed in a storm.

A Long Way From Chicago (Puffin Modern Classics), Richard Peck. Grandma is absolutely one of the funniest characters I've ever encountered in a children's book, but the poignant ending got to me.

The Cat Who Walked Across France, Banks and Hallensleben. This is a picture book with a very simple story; a cat lives happily with his mistress, but when she dies he is put out with all her other belongings. He decides to return to the house by the sea where he remembered being happy. On his journey he passes through many French landmarks; the illustrations are absolutely gorgeous. In the end, the cat finds his dream. Makes me cry every time!


    No comments: